Friday, December 10, 2010

Even More Interviews!!!!!!!!

Conducted by Tiffanie Battram, these interviews highlight some important factors of rushing and the Greek system from the viewpoints of both a CU Junior, Rebecca, and Tara, a grad-student from Vermont


Tara, Vermont Grad-Student

Q:Have you ever considered joining a sorority?
A:Yes, I never went through rush, but I was given a "snap bid".

Q:Why didn’t you join?
A:Um, I had a lot of other things going on and I couldn’t commit everything that I would have wanted to and I also wasn’t willing to give up everything else I was doing.

Q:Do you ever regret not being a part of the Greek System?
A:Not at all.

Q:How was the Greek system portrayed at your school? Is it the same at CU?
A:My school was about 20% Greek, and it did not have a big emphasis on my campus. Coming to CU I saw it a lot more around campus and people seemed to be more proud about being part of the Greek System.

Q:Have you attended any Greek events here at CU?
A:I went to the pancake thing [Tri Delta] and I’ve been to one frat party.

Q:What did you think of the philanthropy?
A:I thought that it was an effective way to raise money while simultaneously involving students and the community. It was a lot of fun, and I would definitely go again.

Q:Do you see any negative with the Greek system?
A:I don’t think so…

Q:Do you think there is a specific stereotype for Greeks?
A:Yes. When I think of a typical sorority girl I think the girls that are coked out sluts. I know they aren’t like that but the few that I have seen label it in a negative light for everyone. Then for guys I think of douche bags.

Q:Do you know anyone that is a part of the Greek System here? Do they fit that stereotype?
A:Yes, I know a few people, and no they do not. They are wonderful people.

~~~~

Rebecca, CU Junior


Q:Why did you join a sorority?
A:I decided to rush and join a sorority primarily because of my Mom; I told her I’d give it a try. She’s from the South, so Greek Life is a big deal.

Q:If your Mom didn’t want you to rush, would you have still given it a try?
A:Probably not, because my friends in the dorms didn’t go through rush.

Q:Was there a reason that you know of, as to why your friends in the dorms didn’t rush?
A:They thought that they were above it in a way, and they wanted a different experience that didn’t involve Greek Life.

Q:What was their (your dorm friends) reaction to you rushing and joining a sorority?
A:They supported my decision, but at the same time, I could tell they didn’t think I would last.

Q:How long have you been in your sorority?
A:Three years, since the fall of freshman year.

Q:Before or when you were rushing, did you feel that there was a specific stereotype to fit into the Greek system?
A:Absolutely, it made me scared to go through recruitment. I remember leaving convocation freshman year, I walked through the tunnel of sorority girl and it was so intimidating.

Q:What did you think the “sorority stereotype” was?
A:Skinny, pretty, like fashionable, conceded.

Q:Now that you have been in a sorority do you think that stereotype is true?
A:Not for all houses.

Q:What is your favorite thing about being in a sorority?
A:I have had the opportunity to be a part of a group of amazing girls that have truly shaped my college experience. There is always someone I can talk or go to if I need too.

Q:If you could tell someone not in a sorority about Greek Life what would you say?
A:It seems superficial and stereotypical at first and at times still is, but you gain a connection with it and find a group that helps serve as a great support system.

Q:How important is philanthropy and community to you and you house?
A:Very important, I stayed in this house because of the philanthropy and what we give back to the community.

Q:Is there anything that bothers you about the Greek system?
A:Yeah, the biggest issue I have is the recruitment process for sororities. I think it is an artificial way of finding people to be valuable members in our organization. It feels fake and not genuine.






No comments:

Post a Comment