Friday, December 10, 2010

Interviews



Rebecca Brough interviewed Sandra Fish to get a professor's opinion on the Greek system at CU as well as a student outside of the system for alternative perspectives on Greek society. The interview is recorded entirely in prose. Not really.



Q:Do you think it is beneficial for students to go through the rushing process of a fraternity or sorority?
A:It depends on the student - I don't think the Greek system is for everyone... I was in the Greek system at a university where it was far more prominent/influential and i'm not sure it was for me, though I certainly gained some things from it. I expect the experience of going through rush would be revelatory for anyone, to see how that works (it's such a weird process), though i suspect it's quite different between frats and sororities, with the latter likely far more organized and formal


Q:Have you noticed a relation between grades and schoolwork and your students who have rushed a fraternity or sorority?
A:No, I don't have any way of knowing who is and who isn't, and I don't have any concern about that and people's grades


Q:What is your take on the rushing process? Do you have any idea what it entails?
A:I am familiar with rush was like in the late '70s (!!!!) and I've seen it happening on campus here, so yes, i know that people go through a few rounds of meeting people at different houses trying to find the right fit...


Q: For the most part is rushing or joining a sorority/fraternity looked upon as a beneficial endeavor or slightly negative among your academic friends?
A:It's actually rarely discussed, at least with the folks I talk to...


Q:How do you think the CU campus handles the rushing process in relation to public awareness and importance?
A:I think the administration tends to ignore the Greek system unless problems crop up... And I'm fine with that... While I think it's a great alternative for some students, especially given the living arrangements and the opportunity to meet so many new folks that you probably have a lot in common with, I don't think it deserves any more attention/importance than is given it...


~~~~~~



Q:Do you think it is beneficial for students to go through the rushing process of a sorority or
fraternity?
A:I think it can definitely be beneficial, of course it is always dependent upon the attitude of the participant. I think it can be a great opportunity for students to socialize and get to know people they may potentially have a lot in common with.

Q:Have you noticed a relation to grades and school work with past students who have rushed a fraternity or sorority?
 A:While I don't know many sorority or fraternity members, I do understand that the rushing process is extremely tiring and time consuming. This doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, although it may take away form studying time since the days tend to go late into the night and start very early. Other than the actual rushing process, I'm not sure how being in a sorority or fraternity could by itself have an impact on grades. I imagine it takes the same time management skills as doing any other type of extracurricular activity.

Q:What is your take on the rushing process? Do you have an idea of what it entails?
 A:I understand that the process is about a week or so long and takes many hours each day. I know that it is formatted as an elimination process, with people being chosen by the fraternity or sorority rather than the other way around. I think this process is potentially emotionally and psychologically very dangerous, as I have personal experience with my former roommate rushing who was devastated to find out she wasn't chosen by a single sorority she was interested in, despite a connection she felt with the girls from the house.

Q:For the most part is rushing or joining a sorority/fraternity looked upon as a beneficial endeavor or slightly negative among your academic friends.
 A:This is a difficult answer to question because I have a wide array of friends from different social backgrounds who are interested in different things. However, I would say that from my experience with peers at CU, I think there is a slight negative attitude toward the idea of rushing a sorority or fraternity. I think many people don't appreciate the idea of an exclusive club or group which eliminates people based on unknown or undefinable characteristics.

Q:How do you think the CU campus handles the rushing process in relation to public awareness and importance?
A:I think CU does a good job of advertising the rush process because I know of many people who have either thought about it or actually gone through with it. I may only know about specific details because I have a close friend in a sorority though.

No comments:

Post a Comment